Foraging For No Work

Suillus grevillei Lehtikuusentatti H8877

Having spent a lot of time in the Czech Republic, I love foraging for mushrooms. In fact I love foraging for fruit as well. There is something very special about reaping nature's bounty both in the garden and in the wider landscape, which I want to celebrate. So not only will foraged plants play an important part in my new diet, but also will feature in this blog. 

My most recent foray took me to the Forest of Dean. It was a bit late for some of the popular mushrooms, which had been turned by the frost into black mush. But I came across a yellow larch boletus near a picnic spot. The Czechs call larch boletus "ne prace" or "no work", because once you find one, you will soon find more than you need. Sure enough, I looked around and soon found so many that supper was sorted - a delicious mushroom soup. 

My mushroom soup recipe:
  1. First remove any pine needles, earth, slugs etc. 
  2. Then remove the sponge layer underneath. This can be eaten, but it goes too slimy when cooked for my liking.  
  3. In the case of larch boletus also remove the skin covering the top, as this can upset some people's stomachs.
  4. Slice the mushrooms and fry in olive oil with a sliced onion. You can also add a knob of butter if you are not on a low saturate diet like me. 
  5. When the mushrooms and onions are cooked, add a pint of vegetable stock*. 
  6. Season to your own taste and cook.
  7. Liquidize and serve with crusty wholemeal bread. 
*  You can buy mushroom stock cubes in Polish and Eastern European shops, which will add even more mushroom flavour - very useful if your haul isn't large.

Obviously the golden mushroom foraging rule applies - never eat anything you have not positively identified. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why

Growing in the compost bin