Scorzonera in flower


I sowed my scorzonera seeds last spring and the roots should have been ready to harvest in the autumn/winter. But as the roots were looking pretty small, I left them in the ground. I am glad I did.

Scorzonera is a biennial/perennial and so flowers in the second year and what beautiful flowers they are. They rise on tall stalks above the leaves. I was wondering about leaving a few plants in the ground for next year, but the hot dry weather has put paid to that. The plants wilted horribly and so I have just dug up the long black roots, which are much thicker and ready for eating.

 One tip on preparing the roots for eating - they produce a thick white glue-like substance when cut or peeled, so blanche them first, after this the black skin can just be scraped off easily.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foraging For No Work

Why

Growing in the compost bin