Why

About a year ago I had a heart attack. Not a bad one, but enough to act as a warning. As is common the attack was followed by depression, partly as a side effect of one of the drugs and partly as a result of realising that my life had to change. But change how?

My answer has been to start growing my own vegetables. My garden is hardly large, as I have a terraced house. The garden had flower beds filled with overgrown flowering shrubs. If I was to grow vegetables the shrubs would have to go, but I didn't have the money or the inclination to remove the flowerbeds, which curved around a central paved circle. I decided I would act within the existing garden layout.

Most importantly I wanted the garden to still raise the spirit by being beautiful as well as edible. So I have been on the lookout for vegetables and planting layouts which please the eye.

I was (and still am) a complete newbie to vegetable growing, but hey what the heck!  I said to my husband I would give it a go, see how I felt after one growing season. Here I am one year on. And I am pleased to say my experiment has been a success. The garden did look lovely and most of the plants survived and thrived. I have lost four inches off my waistline and I am no longer depressed. The 5-a-day target is regularly surpassed. So the vegetables are staying and I am looking forward to the next year of growing.

I have started this blog primarily as a diary reminding me of what I have achieved, what worked, and what didn't. And if necessary I hope it will raise my spirit, which was partly why I have created the blog in the low season. Perhaps some people will even enjoy reading this!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in the compost bin

Foraging For No Work