Growing in the compost bin


This is my courgette plant growing in the compost bin. It is a Czech variety called Wanda, which in addition to the large yellow flowers has sweet pale green fruit and beautiful variegated leaves.


We can hardly keep up with plant's courgette production - my list of courgette recipes has had to expand a lot. It is hard to remember what this section of the garden looked like only a few months ago. In the corner of one of the beds I had erected a chicken-wire compost bin to cope with the green and brown material generated at the end of last year's harvest. My husband considered it ugly and he was right!


The composting process had not finished by spring, so I removed the upright poles and covered the heap with a layer of multipurpose compost bought for 99p from Aldi. Into that I planted two courgette plants and boy did they love their unconventional bed. Soon the decorative courgette leaves had hidden everything.

When the courgettes have finished fruiting, I will clear the plants and spread the compost on the garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why

Foraging For No Work