Seed Swap


Today I went to the Seed Swap organised by the Stroud Valleys Project. The aim of the swap was to allow people to bring any surplus seeds to exchange with others. I have accumulated a load of seed packets (unopened) which had arrived on the front of gardening magazines. This seed swap was ideal for me.

I took sixteen packets to the swap and I brought back four (see above).  I don't mind the imbalance, so long as the seeds get grown. I feel guilty about keeping seeds which will never be sown. Whilst sifting through the packets of seed, I got chatting to another swapper,  who turned out to be a teacher looking for seeds for the school garden. I hope she took some of mine.

Stroud is a centre for environmental activism. One of the sets of seeds I took was from the Stroud Community Seed Bank. They offer a limited range of seeds, all grown by a team of volunteer seed guardians, many of the seeds are heritage varieties and there are some you are unlikely to find anywhere else, such as the Thrupp parsnip (Thrupp is a village in Oxfordshire).

As far as I know, my home borough of Tewkesbury has no such organisation or indeed seed swap. Of course there will be the unofficial seed swaps that take place over mugs of tea at the local allotments, but nothing obvious. Maybe I should do something about it. The nice ladies of Stroud Community Seed Bank offered help and advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why

Growing in the compost bin

Foraging For No Work