Amelanchier not just pretty flowers



Many gardens in the UK have an amelanchier. It is grown because of its delightful white flowers and vibrant autumn colour. It is seldom grown for its edible fruits, but it should be. In its native North America the plant is known as saskatoon or juneberry.

I first came across the berries in my Czech friend's garden. "Help yourself," she said, "there are loads of them." She was right, her bush was covered with red, purple berries. I tried one and could not stop myself reaching for another and another - the berries were and are delicious. There is no tartness or unpleasant aftertaste, unlike some other superfoods I could name. How Amelanchier berries haven't been promoted as a superfood I do not know. They are incredibly good for you - vitamin pills on a bush. They are said to have more antioxidants than blueberries, and are packed full of vitamin C, manganese, magnesium, iron, calcium potassium, copper and carotene. Never has being good for your health tasted so nice.

All amelanchiers have edible berries, but some are better than others. James Wong suggests amelanchier alnifolia and amelanchier lamarkii, but the Czechs also grow amelanchier canadensis for the berries. I have an amelanchier in my Czech garden and am planning to replace the twisted hazel with one in English garden. You see I can't do without it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foraging For No Work

Why

Growing in the compost bin